Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference, kid crushes and brain mush

I love General Conference weekend. It's awesome to look forward to four two hour sessions when I know I will be uplifted and touched and reminded why I am here, where I am going and how I can do better. It was great to see Pres. Monson step into his role as the prophet and I really enjoyed hearing so much from him. I especially loved Elder Ballard's talk. What mom didn't love this talk? I was also touched by Pres. Uchtdorff's, Elder Bednar's, and Elder Holland's talk and others but those are in my mind at the moment.


Here's Ethan in his new preferred computer chair. This week after cub scouts (I am now the assistant bear leader) I was trying to get out the door and Ethan was acting CRAZY, WACKO. I was getting irritated because we needed to leave and get him to piano. He was hiding from and flirting with Erin Child (she was there for activity days), a darling girl in his primary class who he DOESN'T LIKE. Get it? He DOESN'T like her. On the way home I was telling him that his behavior is a dead giveaway that he at least thinks she's a nice girl (but of course he doesn't need to worry about liking a girl until he's 25). Then he softened and told me that he told someone something and they turned on him and it ruined EVERYTHING. It turns out he told Brett Child (Erin's big brother) that he likes Erin. Guess what Brett did? He went and told Erin! Ethan was mortified of course. Ahh, to learn the cruelties of children. Sorry Ethan, but you can't trust kids to keep secrets like that, especially brothers. It just isn't going to happen. I was a little older than Ethan, but this reminds me of when my family moved to Utah (I was 11) and there were a couple of boys in our ward who I thought were SO cute and I would always watch them pretty closely as they passed the sacrament. Of course I wouldn't tell my friends because that would have "ruined EVERYTHING!" Any guesses on those mystery boys?

Quote of the week. . .

This afternoon after conference Nathanael and Kate were watching "the Jesus movie" when suddenly they began to argue. Kate was freaking out because Nathanael had turned off the TV in the middle of the movie without even pushing stop! (Can you believe the nerve? She can't.) Nathanael came in all worked up and practically yelled, "But I don't want my brain to turn to mush!" I tell him that if he watches too much TV his brain will turn to mush. I guess brainwashing really does work.

4 comments:

shannon taylor said...

dang I miss you Lisa! move back here... please!

Laurie said...

So cute! I love the crush story. We just went through that exact same thing with Zach. I was dying, and he is 12. He needs to be at least 25, however, I okay that he is showing interest and growing up and the best part is that so far, he still talks to me about this stuff.

Mindi said...

So who are the cute boys you had a crush on - I'm intrigued?

Lisa said...

Mindi- If I just told you then that would "ruin everything" wouldn't it? Here's a hint. Their initials are JD and KJ :)