Sunday, March 16, 2008

Butter, fingers (a thumb actually) and a goal


This week while I was making dinner I asked Ethan to put some butter on a plate. He looked at me like I was speaking Greek and said, "What do you mean?" I said, "You know, put butter on a plate, like that over there." I was referring to a plate that had maybe 2 teaspoons of butter left on it that had been left out after the kids ate some toast. Not too long after that I turned around to see the butter in it's wrapper, standing straight up on the dirty plate. The bit of left over butter was smashed to oblivion under the weight of the fresh stuff. I asked him, "What is that??" His reply, "It's the butter." Yes, it sure is.


Elijah is discovering that there are some warm, long things connected to the ends of his arms and if he moves them just right he can get them near his mouth and possibly in his mouth where he finds that they fit so very nicely. I checked on him during his nap this week and found him sucking contentedly away. I have had one thumb sucker and I was really hoping that I wouldn't have another. They make great babies but the aftermath ($$$ to the orthodontist) is more than I like to think about.

Ethan scored his first goal of the season yesterday. He was pretty excited. I was pretty excited that Jason was in the right place at the right time with the camera ready. Can't you just see the goalie saying, "Nooooooooooooo!" :)

7 comments:

Mindi said...

I love the butter on the plate- way funny! You're playing soccer already?-Oh and we are building right south of Ogden, Mike wanted to be within 10-15 minutes of the hospital and I wanted to have kids around so that is why we are where we are.

Laurie said...

The butter on the plate is the funniest story I've read today! And your little thumbsucker is so cute!

Roxanne said...

It's about time! I keep saying when is Lisa going to start a blog so we can keep updated. Happy day for us. We missed you today at the Garden for Heather's bday lunch. I hope to see you soon. Come visit me on my blog anytime.

Smullin Family said...

Way to go Ethan!

Ma and pa said...

snhzlzLisa - I am one of those people who never take the time to pick up the phone. Funny thing though, I was thinking about you yesterday and then I get your e-mail about the blog. We too have one (the Arrington's) but at this point I couldn't tell you how to get to it. So watch for an e-mail later with that info. They have given me a young mom to Visit and teach, she has children and I have to say each time I go to see her I think of you. You look great, happy - Ihope you are. Kids look wonderful, so grown up. As are my grandchildren. The twins will be two in May and Kilie is expecting in September. Marie's baby is due in three weeks. Life is good here. I promise to call soon so we can talk a long long time like old times. (Ma and Pa is our bloger name)
Maggie

Katie L. said...

Lisa, Mat sent me your blog and I am glad that you have one! I love the butter...sounds like something Mat would do! Don't tell him I said that! Ha! Sam is a thumbsucker and I LOVE it but I haven't reached the $$$ stage so that's why! You have a really cute family!

shannon taylor said...

love that butter story! glad you got a blog; I'll read faithfully thanks to google reader :)