News Flash: I went to Australia in March.
Ok, so that's way old news. But I am just now getting around to telling about it so that's kind of a blog-flash, right?
It seems like ages ago. It was the best Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day, whatever-else-you-can-think-of-day present for me.
It seems like ages ago. It was the best Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day, whatever-else-you-can-think-of-day present for me.
If you read this and don't know. . . my parents are serving a mission in Sydney. I didn't just pick Australia for a random vacation; though it would be a good choice for a vacation. When my parents were serving in Germany, Jason and I wanted to go but couldn't. All my siblings/spouses went but us. We love Europe and my parents so that was a bummer. This time we talked about how much we would love to go but we still couldn't. Jason is so busy with work. He has a hard time being unreachable for more than a day or two, let alone a week or more. The airfare for two people is outrageous. Add to that paying for a babysitter and there was just no way. My sister and her husband wanted to go too. But they also couldn't make it work. Then brilliance kicked in and Michelle and I cooked up a way to go together. No husbands (though you know we really, really love you), no kids, no responsibility, great location=super fun trip!
When I asked my mom what she will miss the most about Sydney when they come home she said she will miss riding the ferry to Circular Quay. I would have to agree! It is a beautiful and relaxing ride from their suburb of Rydalmere on ferry to downtown Sydney. That was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I also loved going to an opera at the Sydney Opera House, seeing all kinds of animals at two zoos and the aquarium, sight seeing, and shopping! Ok, so everything was my favorite. I couldn't be luckier.
Be prepared for a bunch of boring pictures from here on out.
The coastal road had a problem with falling rock, so this bridge was built well away from the rock face so the piers and bridge deck avoid rock fall hazards. There is a pedestrian sidewalk that we walked down before walking down onto the rocks near the ocean.
This pool is near the Sea Cliff Bridge, and you can see it's right on the ocean. It's literally a tide pool, being filled when the tide comes in and available for swimming in when the tide goes out. There were three muscley Aussie teens swimming and throwing a football while we were there.
Sorry about the red eye, but for me to get this post done I am not editing any of the pictures I post.
Now a bunch of Aussie animals from the Reptile Park and the Koala Park. . .
This thing was the size of about five Nathanaels, maybe more. He was huge.
We saw quite a few other animals including alligators, a huge salt water crocodile, lizards galore, cockatoos (talking ones too), lorikeets, dingos, snakes and lots more cool stuff at the aquarium (sea horses, Nemo and friends, all manner of other tropical fish, turtles, a couple of ginorm dugongs--don't ask about this one, just look it up--sharks, rays and blue fairy penguins to name a bunch).
Now I am tired and ready to retire but I'm not done. I mean, I did more than see a cool bridge and a bunch of animals. But until next time. . .
PS- A note about the song on the playlist. . . The second grade classes at our school did a whole unit on Australia (cool that I got to go right when they were in the middle of it). Their second grade performace included all Australian songs and little plays. It was so fun to see! One of the songs they sang is Waltzing Matilda; I would describe it as an old folk song. It's quite popular over there, we heard it on the radio several times.
Now I am tired and ready to retire but I'm not done. I mean, I did more than see a cool bridge and a bunch of animals. But until next time. . .
PS- A note about the song on the playlist. . . The second grade classes at our school did a whole unit on Australia (cool that I got to go right when they were in the middle of it). Their second grade performace included all Australian songs and little plays. It was so fun to see! One of the songs they sang is Waltzing Matilda; I would describe it as an old folk song. It's quite popular over there, we heard it on the radio several times.
5 comments:
fantastic - thanks for posting
Finally! I can't wait for the next installment. And, I will now have the Kookaburra song stuck in my head the rest of the day...thanks! :) Love the hat. It looks great on you!
Lucky!
I'm so glad you were able to go see your parents! We get to go next month to see mine... yea! O.K., so Detroit isn't as thrilling as Australia, but at least we get to see them!
Yay! A post!!!! Love reading about your Austailian adventures.
Post a Comment