Sunday, September 21, 2008

Women's Celebration

This weekend we went to Boise for the Women's Celebration. The 5K is the "nations largest 5K for women." Side note: I did spy a man or two this year.

For me this weekend is about celebrating friendship. The first year I did it was 2006 and we had just moved to Kennewick. I was so lonely for my friends. We had such a fun weekend and I ran my fastest 5K ever. So of course after that I wanted to come back every year!

Friday night I hooked up with the girls at the Cheesecake Factory- YUM. Tierra and I shared the Luau salad and let me say it was DIVINE. I hung out with my pals until midnight. Jason texted me a few times after eleven and I thought I could be 16 agian and he could be my mom. . ."where the heck are you???" and "You know you have a race to run tomorrow. . ." Oh yea, the race. That's why we're here. Thanks Heather for driving me home.

I was awake half of the second half of the night (did you get that- the second half when I needed to sleep I was mostly awake- it was a bummer). At 6:30 am I needed to get up but I was dead tired and couldn't figure out why the sky was still SO dark. Maybe I really had more time to sleep. . . no, just a lovely thunderstorm and 50 degree weather to awaken to. We got drenched waiting for the bus. We got drenched walking to the start line. We got drenched waiting at the start line for the race to start. About 5 minutes before the race started I was wringing lots of water out of my pullover. My toes were swimming in my shoes at the starting line. We also had spells of thunder and lightning to keep things interesting. The rain let up nicely for the run and then started up again at the finish line. It was great, great fun (and memorable with the rain). I can't wait to do it again next year. Thanks ladies for a great weekend!

Here we come. . .Notice the street lights (to the right) are on. It's after 9:00 am!

Roxanne, Trish, Heather, Debbie, Lani, Roxanne's aunt (help me Roxanne!), Tierra, Heather, me, and Kate. Kate didn't run but she wants to. Maybe next year.

Jason and the kids were troopers. Eli apparently loved the rain and enjoyed having it running down his face. I forgot Nathanael's jacket (yes, that puts me out of the running for mother of the year, and I was so close!) so he ran around with this sunflower blanket that lives in the back of the van for occassions just like this.

5 comments:

Smullin Family said...

Wa-hoo for you!
I've been meaning to do the Women's Celebration Run the last few years, but to no avail. When I saw the weather Saturday morning, I was glad it wasn't this year. :o)
Can't believe you were so close and I didn't get to see you. I was at the "party" downtown Friday evening. Were you there?

Smullin Family said...

Correction: I was there Thursday, not Friday evening. :o)

shannon taylor said...

how fun! lisa, you look fantastic and your friends are super cute too :)

Katie L. said...

Wow! That looks like fun! We have a blanket like that in our car that is a lifesaver when you need it!

Clark Family said...

What a fun weekend! You are inspiring. Maybe when the babies start to sleep at night and I'm not lethargic I can start to work out... :-)