
We stayed at the Coeur d'Alene Resort. It is really, really nice. When the kids and I walked in (Jason was already working away) I felt like we had signs that said "hick" or "beware, backward country folk coming through!" taped to our foreheads. But when I checked there was nothing so I guess we were safe. I was constantly telling the kids to please stop fighting over who gets to push the elevator button and compose themselves. They couldn't figure out what my problem was. Looking back there was no problem- just me being paranoid that we would bother other guests.
Here is the hotel's description of our room (we took a few pictures but they were too dark; besides, the marketers make it sound so glam).
"Premier Mountain View: This signature room offers your choice of one or two beds, a large sunken living area with floor to ceiling picture windows that open onto a private balcony with mountain views. Our signature bed features a pillow-top mattress, luxurious fine linens and duvets with down pillows. Enjoy an oversized separate bath from dressing area complete with beautiful granite dual vanity sinks, European shower and soaking tub. Room Amenities include cotton robes, luxury toiletries, hair dryers, iron and board, in-room safe, 32" flat screen TVs, in-room movies, Clock/Radio, newspaper, wireless internet access and complimentary coffee & tea."
The kids thought it was so DUMB that there were Pringles and gummy bears in our room and we couldn't eat them (the Pringles cost $3.95 and the bears cost $6.95 from the self serve mini bar). Too bad they were born into a family who won't spend that kind of money on snacks, especially when I could buy them a block down the road for 75% less!
Our room had 50/50 down/feather pillows on the beds. In the hotel info binder there was a pillow page with the extension for the 'pillow conceirge' and a list of 10 different types of pillows you could request if the standard gives you a headache. Wow. . . a pillow conceirge. Going there I sort of felt like I was raised in a closet. No offense Mom and Dad, of course I wasn't, but I just never considered the possibility that 'pillow concerige' would be a job description. Go figure. Stupid hick.
For those of you who are green through and through--environment lovers like ourselves--you will surely appreciate how eco friendly this place is. The shampoo and conditioner smell delicious, of course they were all natural, processed safely without harming any animals or polluting the air or water. Plus the soap had a giant hole in the middle. The explanation on the box is: "This vegetable-based, eco-friendly soap has been specially designed to reduce waste left behind from the unused center of traditional bars. The carton is made from natural recycled paper and printed with soy based products. Cruelty free--contains no animal fat or byproducts." Whew, well that's a relief isn't it? Sadly, I was enjoying the smell of the shampoo and conditioner so much (very soothing) and trying to do my part as to not waste any of the hollowed out soap that I took a really, really long shower and in the end I am afraid I wasted an awful lot of water. I just can't win. . .

On to the fun. We got to take a boat ride on the lake with Jason's colleagues. The kids were wonderful and it was so fun. Our captain was kind enough to let the kids drive a little bit which they loved and he told us about all the famous people who own really cool houses on the lake (John Elway for one).
We swam in the most awesome indoor pool I have ever seen in a hotel. No pictures of course because I am lame, but there was a kids' wading pool, a pool with a lane for lap swim but big enough playing and two hot tubs. We walked and/or rode bikes along the lake and played at the park.
If only the weather had cooperated better. . . it was cold, cloudy and rainy most of the time. We only had brief periods of sunshine, but we made the most of our time anyway.
After the meetings we went to Silverwood which is a theme park kind of like Lagoon but much smaller and lacking in many areas from my fond memories of Lagoon. It was cold and rainy so we couldn't play at the water park. The rain came and went and then came again followed by marble sized hail (the picture doesn't do it justice), then thunder and lightning which essentially closed the park down for a good 45 minutes. Most people left after that. Our kids sort of freaked out. Kate and Nathanael wanted to go home. Ethan WOULD NOT ride any coasters after that. My best chance to get on the coasters went out the window with that hail storm.
But we found some rides that could put smiles on everyone's faces and enjoyed ourselves in spite of the weather.
On the way out we consoled our weary, wet selves with some hot funnel cake that was delicious! The kids are already talking about earning free tickets again (reading program through our school) so we can go next summer. We won't forget the tickets this time. . .
4 comments:
Ahhh Coeur d'Alene.
We lived in Post Falls, right before we moved to Twin Falls. We started appreciating the Coeur d'Alene area and all it's beauty, just before we left. :o)
I still go to Post Falls atleast once a year to visit a good friend. It's so pretty around there. I do miss it sometimes.
We so want to do that some year. Maybe Joe and I will do a little getaway someday. samantha
Oh, Lisa, this post had me cracking up. Its just so you. I miss you guys! Glad you had a fun trip despite the mishaps.
what a great trip! you are so funny. it sounds like fun was had by all inspite of you feeling like a backwoods hick!
by the way, we have some other friends in kennewik (i think.) adam and tami smith. do you know them? he's an ob/gyn there. and they are lds.
Post a Comment