Oldroyd Family Reunion
Aspen Grove, August 2009
Aspen Grove, August 2009
In August we went to Aspen Grove for my family's reunion. It was in the planning stages long before I knew I would be nearly 9 months pregnant at the time of the trip! There was a bit of hoopla right up until the day I left as to the wisdom in going, so close to my due date, but I did my homework and was prepared for anything. Had our baby been born during that week it would have made quite a story! And yet, he baked for another month! More on that later. . . I had the luxury of flying to Utah while Jason drove 11 hours with the kids. They spent the night in Burley with Bonnie Z and Co. while I had a little reunion with some long-time, fabulous friends at the Cheesecake Factory and later spent the night in Park City with my parents. I felt pretty spoiled.
Aspen Grove was a ton of fun. Everyone got a vacation--everyone. We ate in the cafeteria so all meals were prepared and cleaned up by the staff. That was seriously one of my favorite parts of the trip- no food prep or clean up for a week! There were activities available for all kids (ages 0 to 18, set up in age groups) for six hours or more each day. They went swimming, hiking, made stuff, climbed on the rock wall, sang songs had just had a ton of fun. It was awesome for the cousins to have so much time together doing so many fun things. For adults they had lectures, crafts, pottery, paintball, high ropes course, geocaching and sports tournaments to name a few. There are trails everywhere if you wanted to hike. In the evenings there were more activities. There was never a dearth of entertainment.
We lodged in the rustic cabins, bathrooms and shower up the trail just a short walk. Jason and I thought it was great. Other members of our family thought the cabin/bathroom down the road thing was like real camping. In the end we all had a really great time. On the way home our kids were begging to go again next year.
Our Rustic Cabin, 12A, came complete with carpet, a heater, two bedrooms (ok , so saying two bedrooms is being a bit generous. . .) and a loft, sheets and blankets for the beds, a dresser, a desk and a rod for hanging clothes. Rustic? I think not. Well, maybe rustic in comparison to the Marriott.Birthdays
While there we celebrated Elyse's 18th birthday (she's the oldest grandchild) and Mom's 70th birthday with a few gifts, good company and a Costco cake. . . Yum.Aspen Follies
The Aspen Follies were pretty darn fun. Lots of games for the family to do together. I mostly waddled around, watching the fun. But even that was fun.High Ropes
The high ropes course was not as easy as it looked, unless you were under 18. The kids who were old enough to go made it look like a piece of cake.Other Good Stuff
Next to the high ropes course they have a rock wall for younger campers. All of our kids are scared of heights (I believe they inherited this from their Dad) so about half way up the wall they would look down and decide that was plenty. I'm not sure that Kate got three feet off the ground.The pottery area is set up over the river that runs near the camp. Just sitting in the room is relaxing! I made a little salsa bowl that is now waiting patiently to be fired in a kiln. It's on my list of things to do. That very, very long list. . .
Frontier Night
Frontier night was super fun. They had all-you-can-eat snow cones which put huge purple, blue, and/or red smiles on all the kids faces. They also handed out some old time candy, had face painting in the village, stories in the teepee and archery in the woods. Jason caught a candid photo of our own semi naked archer. Pretty sure his attire isn't up to BYU dress standards. . .Hiking
Some members of my family thought it sounded like good clean fun to hike Timp while we were there. On Wednesday those brave souls headed up the mountain, Jason and Ethan among them. Ethan was wearing his last years school shoes that are so well loved that they have about as much traction as a banana peel. And lets not mention Jason's non love for heights. All day I was fighting the little devil on my shoulder telling me to worry, worry, worry. Jason and Ethan took their time, whether that was due to their fitness level or their desire to smell the flowers and watch the mountain goats I don't know. Jason decided they would stop just below the summit (less than a mile from the top) because of the steepness of the trail and Ethan's lack of decent shoes. Ethan wasn't very happy but he got over it and they had a good time. I was glad Jason kept his promise of bringing Ethan back alive and well. ;)
The pool was a nice attraction when we had warm afternoon weather. But it wasn't quite as warm as we had anticipated since Utah had a cold front come through during the beginning of our week there. They had lap swim in the mornings that I really wanted to do but each morning I chickened out because I didn't want to walk over in the cold to swim and then be really, really cold walking back to 12A. So I was totally lame and didn't lap swim once. But we had some good clean fun in the water while the sun was shining. The kids' activities involved swimming almost every day so our kids got their fill of the pool.Family Dance
On our last night there was a family dance (which at 9 pm turns into a teen/young adult only activity). I wasn't sure if we even wanted to go. I knew Kate would have a good time and probably Nathanael. Ethan was Mr. Cool- I don't want to dance! It didn't help that Jason told him that if a girl asked him to dance he had to say yes and go dance. The thought of dancing with a girl was a little too much for him to manage. Elijah was exhausted and was losing what little self control he possessed. We went in thinking we would stay for a few minutes and leave. The dance turned out to be one of the funnest activities. It seemed like every other dance was a line dance. The BYU student staff were really great dancers and entertainers and we had a great time watching them. It has been years since I've heard Macarena and it was so fabulous to watch all the kids do their best to learn the dance and jump right in with everyone. Of course no dance is complete without the old standby, YMCA. Even my mom got into that one. There were lots of songs that I have never heard, proving I am old and out of touch. Oh reality bites! It was a great end to a fabulous week.
2 comments:
This looks like so much fun. I wish I could go there! Glad you got to fly. I like your haircut. Glad things went well.
This looks SO fun!!! I'm having my mom read this so maybe we can have a get together there. I love all these pictures you took. And I'm glad your parents made it back. Just in time to help with your new little one. :-)
Post a Comment